Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Duck Walk


If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.


I was sitting here thinking about how different my life would be if I didn't have my little ones.
My older two are into full-swing teen life
and are starting to leave the nest a lot more.
It seems like friends, girlfriends, jobs, etc are taking them away 
from home a bit more each day.
I know this is normal and healthy and I am happy for them
because they are amazing, well adjusted, smart kids...
But I do miss them.

Had we not adopted the twins a few years ago,
much of my life would have been quiet and child-free now.
Quiet and child-free is not necessarily a bad thing in little doses,
but as my son enters his senior year and my daughter enters her sophomore year,
I know the time draws near when they will be out and on their own for good.
I would be getting ready to enter a totally new phase of my life
as an empty-nester within the next 3 years.

That is not so; however, thankfully.
The twins are just entering first grade and have a long time yet
to be home and grow into their own person.
They fill the house with chaos and noise and laughter
that otherwise I would be missing right now.
Their fresh, innocent perspective on worldly matters 
brings humor and light into my life during a time
when my older ones are pulling away becoming more independent.
I am not quite ready to be an empty-nester just yet,
but I have a feeling by the time we raise these two little ones
and have them leaving home, we will be ready for it.
But until then, I am thankful for the noise and chaos they bring to my life.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!