Wednesday, June 10, 2015

When Music and Art Dance


I was driving the other day when the song Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes (featuring Adam Levine) came on.  I started singing along with the tune, of course. I hadn't heard this song in quite a long time so I had to refocus my attention on the lyrics, trying to remember all the words.  When I came to this section of the lyrics a new art idea clicked-

If I could only find a note to make you understand
I'd sing it softly in your ear and grab you by the hand
Keep it stuck your head, like your favorite tune
And know my heart's a stereo that only plays for you.


My heart's a stereo
It beats for you, so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every note.


Make me your radio
Turn me up when you feel low
This melody was meant for you
Just sing along to my stereo.


I had been holding on to a vintage photo of these dancers for a long time.  I loved it but wasn't sure what to do with it. I kept waiting to be inspired but nothing ever felt quite right. Finally, when I heard the above lyrics, I knew I wanted to turn the dancers into something that represented art and music since, for me, they dance and intermingle in my mind.  I knew I had it...I knew I wanted to use an image of a vintage camera and a vintage radio to collage with the dancers that had been in my mind for so long.  Finally!

So, when I got home that day, I immediately pulled up the image of the dancers and started colorizing it. I've been in to pinks, browns, and greens lately, so I chose that color scheme for the floor, background, and dress. After colorizing the photo, I then layered, resized, transformed, and masked the images of the camera and radio for the heads.  Next, I added a texture layer and masked out the dancers by 50% and then added the music overlay.  I erased out the words and other details I didn't want in the music layer and then flattened the piece.  Last, I made some mid-tone adjustments, added a contrast pop, and then burned a vignette around the edges to focus more attention to the dancers.

And I fell in love with it.  I think I would like this one LARGE in my home somewhere...perhaps my office.  It just speaks to me since music and art are so delicately connected in my heart and soul.

I wanted to thank everyone for their private messages, texts, and phone calls yesterday comforting me on the one year anniversary of my father's passing.  It was much appreciated.  If you don't mind, please say a small prayer for me and the surgeon today as I go in to get my jaw repaired with a bone graft at 3:00 PM.  Thank you in advance.  Depending on how I am recovering, you may or may not hear from me the rest of the week.  Hope to be here tomorrow, but if not, I will begin posting again Friday or Monday.  Love to all.  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!