Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Amish Horse Team



Yesterday would have been my father's 73rd birthday.  Ever since his death in June, it has been a struggle without him.  We butted heads a lot, my father and I, but his love for me was endless and he was a great father.  I miss him dearly.  Holidays and special days are most difficult.  I found myself very quiet and reflective yesterday, remembering and honoring my father.  If I am not careful, I can let the sadness of it all overwhelm me and I know my father would not have liked that.  He would have used that tough love of his and he would have told me to stop being sad and feeling sorry for myself and get out and do something.  So, I did.

I took a drive in and around Lancaster, PA.  I just couldn't sit home and mope, so despite the -3 degree temperatures, I ventured out.  Along the way, I came across an Amish farm where I found this team of horses waiting patiently to head out into the frozen day to do some work.  I only stopped briefly to grab this picture and then I was on my way again, but something about them grabbed my attention.  I swear they knew I was taking their picture.  All 4 of them seemed like wise souls...the way they watched me somewhat interested in my presence yet somewhat detached and more interested in their owner letting them begin their day.

I'm glad I was able to get out, but the truth is, I am still sad.  I do miss my father every day and time doesn't seem to heal a thing when it is a loss this grand.  I am confident I won't wallow in the sadness of being without him, but I am also confident it won't ever become easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!