Monday, June 15, 2015

The Bee Keeper


It's funny how things change.  When I was a much younger woman, not only was I in need of controlling every aspect of my life, but I also cared a lot more than I do now about what people think of me.  Back when we purchased our first home, I was so crazy about keeping my yard spotless and "weed" free because God forbid someone think I not take care of my lawn.  No clover, no dandelions, no crab grass...nothing to mar my little postage stamp in the world.  In my youthful naivety I would spray herbicide (Round-Up anyone?) at every errant sprig of grass in the crack of a sidewalk and any weed-like intruder into my perfect grass.  Herbicide was my friend and companion.  I had no idea what I was doing to myself, my kids, the bees, and the environment.

Fast forward 18 or so years and I found myself the other day slowly walking around my small farm, observing, appreciating, and taking in all the little details that make me love this place. As I was looking down, I saw one of many patches of clover in my lawn and fields and it hit me for some reason, how differently I feel about this "weed."  While I used to hate it, I now see it for what it is...food for the amazing bees that are declining at an alarmingly rapid rate (thanks to people like myself who sprayed insecticides, pesticides, and herbicides); a treat for my horse who loves its sweet taste, and a part of my grassy environment that should be and is welcome here.  So differently I think than when I was a young twenty-something.  I only wish I had come to my senses a little earlier.  I guess the saying goes, when you know better, you do better.

I created this piece, The Bee Keeper, over the weekend while I was still on house arrest (or as the surgeon calls it, bedrest) from my surgery last Wednesday.  I was starting to feel better and could not lie in bed a single moment more, and I had ideas swirling around...like this one.  So, it was much needed exercise for my brain while being a quiet and calm physical activity.  I hope you like it...and I hope in honor of the bees, your family and yourself, to commit to not to spraying Round-Up any more. ;)  Happy Monday, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!