Monday, January 25, 2016

The Season of Recovery


Winter is a season of recovery and preparation.
~Paul Theroux

I know many of you are sick and tired of the white stuff already (which is why I opted to post this colorful image today as opposed to more snow pictures), but keep in mind that winter is the season of recovery and preparation. It is a good time to reconnect with ourselves and also with our neighbors. I have been thrilled with how all of our neighbors are helping each other during the aftermath of the blizzard. While I am physically unable to do a lot of shoveling myself, I was able to contribute by feeding all the hard working neighbors who were out working in the cold all day yesterday. We are still not plowed out by the county, so my husband and other neighborhood men are out today with their tractor snowblowers and front end loaders clearing our road themselves. It may take them all day to make a path, but the county always leaves us for last, so sometimes if you want it done, you have to do it yourself. People need to return to work, go to doctor appointments, get to stores to replenish supplies, and in some cases, get to the airport for travel plans. So, they are out there working as a team to get it done. Also, please be sure to check on elderly neighbors to make sure they have what they need and have a path to get out in an emergency.

One thing I am proud of as a parent was, after watching me feed the working neighbors yesterday, my sixteen year old daughter came to me this morning to ask if she could bake a batch of blueberry muffins to take to the men today. Of course, I said yes. So happy she has a giving and kind heart and sees the value of contributing to a group effort. My oldest son is out with the men helping unbury everyone. I am thankful that I am raising children that contribute positively to society. It is all a mama could ask for. 

Hope everyone is safe, warm, and comfortable. 

Hugs
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!