Thursday, January 5, 2017

St. Louis Zoo- Photography by Tracey Grumbach


About these images: While traveling to visit family in St. Louis, my oldest daughter and I took a few hours one morning away from the hospital while the kids were in therapy. We decided to quickly tour the zoo, which was right across the street from the hospital. I decided to take along my camera and long lens to see what I could capture in the brief time I had there.


The St. Louis Zoo is really beautiful and totally worth going if you are ever in the area. The morning we went most of the animals were out, active, and visible. The enclosures were very natural looking and many of the animas had "pit-style" arenas in which they were kept so viewers didn't have to look through bars to see them. That was the case with the large cats as seen above.


This is one of the strangest creatures Brenna and I have ever come across. It looked kind of like a rodent in the face, a cow/buffallo in the body, a bear in its rear end, and a goat on its feet. According to the zoo's website, the Sichuan Takin is an "antelope-like goat" that is a relative of the musk ox and lives in Western China. Seriously, people, these creatures are so ugly they are cute, and they are HUGE (buffalo size). There were babies in the enclosure as well, and oh my goodness, just no words. Click the link above to see a video of the creatures on the zoo website.


One of my favorite animals to photograph are the zebras. I just love the abstract patterns that are unique to each individual animal, like a thumbprint. And their ears...dear heavens...wish I could rub them they are so cute and furry. I'm pretty sure the zebra wouldn't appreciate it my ear fetish, though.


The camels are always amusing to watch, especially when they are eating. Reminds me of some 9 year old twins I know, lol.



I'm not sure what the next creature's name is, but it sure is majestic with those long, twisting horns and beautiful eyes. Check out that neck beard!


Y'all know I love me some birds, and this one is no exception. It was HUGE! And the bright eye with the red stripe on its head just drew me in. It was quite beautiful.  I still have more bird images to edit and share at another time, but for now this one has the spotlight.


This banteng, a wild cow that is quite shy and lives in the jungle, was too adorable. I caught it taking its bath for the day as it licked itself all over in quite the lazy way. She seemed very flexible for a lady her size...perhaps she does yoga.


I have many more images to go through and edit, but I thought you might enjoy seeing some pure photographs for a change rather than digital art. I will continue to edit the other images and share another time. In the meantime, I hope you all stay safe from the impending snow fall (yes, I know it is predicted to be only a few inches) and have a beautiful day.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!