Thursday, January 15, 2015

Innocence


I had one of those moments of clarity today while I was reading with my first grader.  He decided to read a short biography about Martin King Luther Jr., which ended up being very appropriate considering today is MLK Jr's actual birthday and the nation will celebrate his birthday on Monday.  Anyway, my 7 year old was reading about what life was like for black people in Martin's day and my son was appalled.  He couldn't believe they had separate schools for whites and blacks.  He couldn't believe that blacks had to give up their seats on the bus for whites.  He couldn't believe blacks had to wait at the back of the line and allow whites to be served first.

He shook his head, looked at me and said, "Well, that's not fair."

So simple.

Then he said, "Well, what if a white boy and a black boy wanted to be best friends...they couldn't because they couldn't go to the same school.  I don't understand."

My moment of clarity came when I thought about how innocent youth is.  When thinking of his open heart and unprejudiced mind, I remembered that the Bible tells us a little something about being more like a child...

Luke 18:17 says "Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

Matthew 18:3 says “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

and Matthew 19:14 says "But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”

I thought these verses meant that we should have blind, unquestioning faith just as a child does.  But today I realized that instead, perhaps it simply means that in order to be more God-like we need to strive to have the innocence and open heart of a child.  Kindness, tolerance, an open heart and mind...that, my dear son, is what you taught me today, and you didn't even know it...from now on I will strive to see the world more like you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!