Monday, February 29, 2016

The Lucky Sisters


Diligence is the mother of good luck.
Benjamin Franklin

I don't believe in luck. I believe in hard work, diligence, opportunity, preparedness, and God's plan. I know many cultures have superstitions surrounding luck, both good and bad, and while I respect these beliefs, I don't subscribe to them.

One thing I do remember regarding luck in my own family is my maternal grandmother constantly looking for and finding 4 leaf clovers in the grass. She was amazing at spotting these anomalies from a full standing position. I remember trying and trying to find one on my own as a child, crouched low over the clover patch, hand brushing through the greenness, eyes darting around searching for the telltale extra leaf and never once finding one. When I would walk away from a patch of clover, my grandmother would step up to it right behind me and within seconds locate one. She was something else. I miss her dearly.

As a child I also owned a rabbit's foot. Despite my 4 leaf clover hunting and rabbits-foot owning, I don't ever remember believing either brought me luck. I never believed that the wish I murmured as I saw a falling star would come true. I was never jealous of the u-shaped horseshoe that hung over my brother's bedroom door. I guess I was a boring, non-imaginative child that carried too much logic in her head. Perhaps, then, that is why I think one makes his/her own luck and there is not some mystical force of magic out there that rewards the ones with cut-off rabbits' feet, four-leaf clovers, and that see falling stars. I didn't believe God would let wrath be brought to someone for simply walking under a ladder or accidentally breaking a mirror. I found it all very strange to believe, indeed.

Do you have any traditions surrounding the idea of luck? I'd love to hear them.

Have a wonderful week, y'all.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!