Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Foggy Morning on the Farm- Mobile Art by Tracey Grumbach

Misty, foggy morning on a farm in PA

This weekend I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with my husband's extended family for Christmas. I've noticed that as I get older these get-togethers become even more special and more important because I realize just how valuable our elders are to us. I love listening to their stories of childhood. Their memories are something to marvel at, how detailed they can tell a story from long ago. It seems at times I can barely remember yesterday, much less what age I was when I got my first bike and what brand and color it was!

While visiting that night, I found a new respect for Brian's uncle, who is 76 and is still spry and working as busy as ever in his home inspection business. He retired many years ago as a home builder and has been a home inspector since then. When we moved to our current house, he was the only inspector we would trust and he did a great job by us. I asked him when he thought he might retire and he laughed and replied, he doesn't know any 80 year olds that are still climbing up on rooftops to do inspections.

I also found out that his uncle keeps a daily journal. He has binders and binders full of information, history, and personal notes about what he does or has done in his life. What a treasure trove of history! I got to flip through a few pages and I was truly stunned. I sincerely hope that the rest of the family hangs on to these precious keepsakes when his uncle is no longer here. The amateur genealogist in me went crazy looking at all this information to be had right at my fingertips.  Truly amazing.

I guess what I've learned from this experience is two things...first, talk to my elders now!  My grandparents are already gone and so is my dad and a few of my uncles. Time is short here on earth and so I want to seize every opportunity to talk and ask questions about my elder's lives. Secondly, I need to start journaling in some sort of way. I don't have time to do the extensive journaling that Brian's uncle does, but a couple of sentences a day would be a good start to a very worthwhile habit of writing down important things in my life.

As you visit family this holiday season, stop and listen to your elders. They are so amazing and smart and full of valuable information about their lives and the world.

Have a wonderful day!
xo

1 comment:

  1. What a treat to talk to that uncle, and how awesome that he has all that information written down. I never use to journal, but now I couldn't live without doing my Morning Pages every morning. It is also fun to look back and read what I wrote last year, sometimes I laugh at what I read and sometimes I think I was really thinking that last year. All good for growth and creative development.

    PS I think we both need to work on our print of our work. The calendars are the main thing I get done every year. Although Shutterfly has a big sale on right now until the 27th. I have some 11 X14 and 16 X20 prints lined up and will push the order button before the 27th.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!