Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Winter's Arch- Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri


About this image: This image was taken on Thanksgiving morning when Brenna and I were "trapped" in the hotel Thanksgiving morning because of the parade in St. Louis. The police had the streets in the city shut down, so we couldn't drive anywhere. We decided to take a walk to the Old Basilica located near the arch to light candles for K and E and say a prayer for their recovery. As we walked around the area, I noticed this tree, void of its leaves after the autumn drop, silhouetted against the Gateway Arch in the background. It was a dreary morning, misty and grey. The quality of light was mysterious and I loved it.

As I sit here in my studio on this gray morning typing this post, my mind drifts back to St. Louis, Missouri where my cousin's children are still rehabbing at the Children's Hospital after suffering traumatic brain injuries from a horrific car accident. Back over Thanksgiving, my oldest daughter and I traveled to St. Louis for a week to visit and help as best we could during this difficult time. They have come so far since then, both E and K, and they are set to be released to outpatient care on Thursday. Just a little over two months ago we didn't even know if they would live. It is truly a miracle that they lived and are recovering so well. It will still be a long road, but the journey of a thousands steps starts with one step forward. I can't wait to see how they progress once they are home.

Each morning, since New Year's Day, I've been reading one entry from my book, 365 Dalai Lama: Daily Advice from the Heart. Today, day 3, I wanted to share the message with you-

"I think human beings are the superior sentient beings on this planet. Humans have the potential not only to create happy lives for themselves, but also to help other beings. We have a natural creative ability and it is very important to realize this."

Have a beautifully blessed day.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!