Monday, January 2, 2017

John Wright Store and Restaurant - Digital Art by Harford County Artist


About this image: Over the past month or so I have been going back through old photos of mine and looking at them with new eyes. One of the images that caught my eye was this one from a trip I took with my mother many years ago. We took a day-trip to go shopping and stopped at this store, John Wright Store and Restaurant, which is located next to the Susquehanna River on the border of York and Lancaster counties in Pennsylvania.  It is a huge warehouse type building and we enjoyed walking through, looking at all they had to offer. I don't believe we ate there...if we did it must not have impressed me because I don't remember. I do remember it was a freezing cold winter day and there was ice flowing down the Susquehanna.  I remember looking out the wavy old glass windows out onto the beautiful river. I have a love affair with antique windows...that wavy, uneven surface that makes everything on the other side look magical and dreamlike.  Anyway, I took that old image and used the processes I use today to create this piece. I wanted to add a dreamlike feel to the original plain photograph.

I want to wish everyone a very happy New Year. I hope everyone was able to start yesterday off with positivity and love that will last the whole year through. I have said many times I am not a resolution kind of person, but I do pick a word every year to help me focus on goals that I set for that year. This year my word is HABIT. I want to create positive habits in several areas of my life. Health wise I want to create a habit to practice meditation (at least 10 minutes a day) and yoga 3-5 times a week. I already started to form this habit and have 4 sessions of both meditation and yoga under my belt. I can already feel the difference in my attitude and physical being. In addition, I was blessed to receive a far infared non-EMF emitting sauna for Christmas from my husband. It has been installed and I have used it twice so far. I want to create a habit of using my sauna at least 5 times a week to create a deep sweat to help me detox. And the last personal habit I have a desire to form is to write in a journal/diary at least 3-5 times a week. I find writing cathartic, so I am on the hunt for a beautiful journal that will encourage me to pick it up frequently and write. What is on your list to change or improve this year?

Professionally, I am exploring new venues to show my work (more information on this forthcoming if I am able to make this happen). I also want to continue to take more digital art classes (I am in one now) to expand my knowledge and abilities in this area. I am looking forward my article coming out on March 1 and to being the featured artist for Arts By the Bay Gallery for the April-June show. I am looking into scheduling two workshops in the spring...one being the rescheduled PhotoWalk in Havre de Grace that I had to postpone from this fall. Another will be on using textures and apps to enhance photography work, which I have gotten many requests for recently. There are not set dates for these yet, but I am working on it.  Keep your eyes on the Upcoming Events page as I will be making some changes there soon as some dates have changed for my shift at the gallery.

As 2017 gets started I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their support and encouragement over the last year! Every comment, every follow, every sale of my art is not taken lightly. I appreciate each and every one of you who take the time out of your day to look at my work. Thank you!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!