Monday, July 10, 2017

On the Edge- Digital Art by Tracey Grumbach

On the Edge by Tracey Grumbach

Today's art piece, On the Edge, was inspired by the processes I've learned in the digital art class I am taking and is dedicated to everyone who has ever been at the edge of a huge life change and can feel the weight of decisions on their shoulders. Should you leap or should you back away from the edge? As I was browsing one of my favorite sites (either Pixabay or Unsplash...I can't remember now), as I often do looking for inspiration, I came across a photograph of a woman standing on a chair. This image was my muse for this piece. After I finished, I showed this piece to my oldest daughter and she said, "Mom, this is full of emotion." I was excited by her comment because that is what I was striving for...to show emotion figuratively without the need of facial expressions. I'm glad it worked out, at least in how it made her feel when she saw it. Perhaps it makes you feel something to.

Many times people ask me about my process, so today I thought I would share mine for On the Edge. Sometimes I know what I want the end result to look like when I start and sometimes I let the process dictate what the result will be. For this it was a mix of both...I had a general idea of a human standing on the edge of a ledge looking downward, but I let how I felt as I moved through the process dictate color choices, texture choices, and the addition of other elements in the scene. I put together a slideshow showing some of the incremental steps labeled with what app I was using to share this process with you. This piece took me a few hours from start to finish. Some art pieces take days, some hours, and some only minutes depending on what it is I am creating. I hope you enjoy this peek inside my process.

**Note- My working title for this piece was Leap? but I changed the title after I made the video...didn't want to confuse you. :)



Have a beautiful Monday...I hope it is getting off to a great start.

xo

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!