Friday, August 25, 2017

Canterbury Bell- Portrait of a Flower Series

purple canterbury bell flower
Canterbury Bell- digital art by Tracey Grumbach

The other day, while waiting for my flight out of Orlando, I was reading a magazine and came across this quote, "The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."  -Thomas Moore

I never thought about it prior to that moment, but I think he is right. The rituals I perform every day in my home such as cooking for my family,  folding laundry, vacuuming, etc. while sometimes tedious, are soothing to my soul. If I change my perspective from those things being a chore to those things being a blessing (I have food, clothing, a house, kids, a husband in my life to care for), it becomes an act of love to perform these duties instead of being a mundane task. This is no more evident than when I am away from home, living in a hotel for a week or more. Yes, it is nice not to have to do those things, but after a while, I miss it. I miss taking care of my family. I miss the smell of warm laundry coming out of the dryer. I miss putting the clean, shiny dinner dishes away. I miss making my bed. I miss creating a nice dinner for my family. There is nothing like stepping out of a routine for a while to help make me appreciate that exact routine I was yearning to step away from.

What chores, tasks, or routines can you change your perspective about and see them as an act of soul enriching love instead of a boring job?

------------

This beautiful purple flower is a Canterbury Bell. It is one of my favorite flowers and I was so excited a while back when I found one in a mixed bouquet I purchased. I didn't want an ordinary picture of it focusing straight into the bell, so I flipped it upside down on a black granite tile to show off the beautiful "flip" of the petals, the gorgeous structure of the cap, and a wonderful reflection. After I photographed it I took it into some painting apps and programs and digitally painted over the original photo. I hope you like this newest addition to the Portrait of a Flower Series. The entire series has been a thrill for me because I am learning more and more about shadowing and highlights in my paintings. I've come a long way since the day of my flat, cut-and-paste look I did a few years back. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. The weather here is supposed to be gorgeous and I am looking forward to it after the heat and humidity of Florida in August! Less than two weeks now and the little ones will return to public school. I am both excited and sad for this transition, but I know in the long run it will be good for all of us.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!