Tuesday, September 12, 2017

13/365-But Not Loneliness

Created by Visual Artist Tracey Grumbach


“Human beings can withstand a week without water, two weeks without food, many years of homelessness, but not loneliness. It is the worst of all tortures, the worst of all sufferings.”
―Paulo Coelho; Eleven Minutes

-----------

As my family and I biked the most northern part of the Heritage Rail Trail in York County, PA, we passed these abandoned boxcars. We stopped to catch our breath and take a drink of water when I decided to take a few pictures. I asked my husband to take my picture while I sat inside one of the open box cars, however, when I approached it, I noticed inside the car there was clothing, shoes, and various other living items. I realized that someone who was homeless used this space as a home. It shook me to the core and made me sad that whoever lived here didn't have a warm home to call his/her own. I decided against trespassing into the box car since it was someone's space.

As we biked further north we passed another box car with the door open. In that car, there were actually voices coming from within. It's almost as if a community of homeless people set up their own apartments. I truly believe humans seek company. Even introverts and loners tend to appreciate other human contact every now and then. Loneliness has no place in our world.

Until tomorrow...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!