Friday, June 2, 2017

What Would You Do If You Knew You Couldn't Fail?

failure-
noun

1. lack of success.
2.  the omission of expected or required action

Reading a magazine the other day, The Magnolia Journal, to be exact, I came across this question...What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? It really got me thinking, especially since failure seems to be surrounding me lately as I navigate through another round of treatment for Chronic Lyme and co-infections. I don't seem to be able to do much lately due to the symptoms of the disease and the side effects of treatment holding me back. Since 2014 I have defined my life as "before" I was sick and "after" I was sick. I've actually had to grieve the life that I lost when this disease took over my every waking (and sleeping) minute. I used to be an active, go-getter, type A person and now...well, now I'm lucky to make it through the day.



So, back to the question...what would I do if I knew I couldn't fail? What would I do if my body and brain would cooperate and allow me the life I long to have? What would I do if I could string more than a few hours together when I felt well enough or had enough energy to something more than lie in bed?

Artwork by Katie Vernon- katievernon.com

 I'd travel. I would buy an RV and tour the beautiful United States writing about and photographing my adventures along the way. I love learning about new places, new people, history, cultures, and landscapes. My life would become one long, glorious road trip stopping wherever and whenever I found something interesting.

I'd also love to become a Court Appointed Special Advocate and help foster children by being their voice in the courtroom. Since I adopted twins back in 2011, who had a wonderful CASA, I've wanted to give back to the foster/adoption community in any way I can. One day, when I am in remission, I will do this!

So, what is it that you would do if you knew you could not fail? What dreams do you have?

xo

4 comments:

  1. If I knew I couldnt fail I would do a lot of things. First thing I would do is come up with a successful treatment for people with severe nerve damage like my son. A way to fully give back his life, pain free and the ability to move his body like once before. I would also become a doctor who would really listen to her patients and truly help others to live a full filling quality of life. I love to help others. People that struggle in all sorts of ways and to be able to make a difference in their lives would be amazing.That is my mission to be a light in the darkness. I would also like to become a published author and inspire others to come to Jesus. That is perhaps my biggest dream. I love to write but time never allows for it. I think it is our duty as servants of God to use our God given talents to reach others. I would love nothing more than to use my nurturing gifts to do more for the Lord. Blessings to you Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic dream! I have complete confidence in you that one day you will write. You have already made a difference in me and I am sure in countless others, in our relationship to God. Because of you I now have a church family again! Love you, friend! xo

      Delete
  2. I have always enjoyed this question because it certainly get one thinking. But then I heard a twist on it once that has stuck with me, "What would you do even if you failed?" Doing it because you love it so much that it isn't about succeeding or failing but about the doing. I am right there with you in the traveling the country, photographing and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very thoughtful perspective, Sarah! I guess by "fail" I was defining it as being able to do it all...financially and physically. Even if I wanted to do nothing but travel around in an RV and write and create art, I couldn't unless the finances and physical ability were there. Fear of failure hasn't really held me back much in life because I've failed enough to know that there are valuable lessons in failing. So yes, I totally agree with your perspective. Fear wouldn't hold me back but the practical aspects would. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!