Monday, October 20, 2014

Getting Back Some Normalcy

My daughter sitting quietly and enjoying the soothing nature at Deep Creek Lake

This weekend I finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I feel like I am getting the beginning stages of building up my strength and stamina again.  I still have some very frustrating moments when walking to my daughter's soccer game across a school complex wears me out, or when I, for the life of me, can NOT think of the words I want to say, but those moments are fewer and farther in between.

Even though I haven't been writing much, I am still continuing my daily gratitude focus.  It helps keep me in a good frame of mind for healing.  I haven't had much love of humanity lately, as every time I turn on the news it is scary and negative.  But this weekend my faith in humans was restored, even for just a brief moment.

We took our twins to Hershey's Giant Stadium to see Disney's Frozen on Ice.  We let the kids choose the restaurant where they wanted to eat and then we took them to see the show.  They were very well behaved and loved seeing their favorite characters in live action.  But the incident that happened when we were leaving the packed stadium, home of the Hershey Bears Hockey Team, is what restored my faith in people.

After the show was over, there was a mad rush to the exits.  Everyone wanted to be first to their car to avoid sitting in the parking lot for an hour.  Not up to fighting crowds and ridiculous people, we just sat and waited for the stadium to empty.  Finally, when things were clearing out, we got up to leave.  When we made our way to the main concourse, there was a small toddler (I'm guessing he was between 12-15 months old) toddling along alone among the legs of all the people.  It caught my attention because I didn't see any adult with him.  Literally, the split second I thought about going to grab him and taking him to security, another woman noticed the same thing and beat me to it.  She went and grabbed the child (who was completely calm and content) and started searching for an adult that he belonged to.

Within a minute, a lady with three other children came up onto the concourse from the seats below sobbing in horror.  The rescuer immediately took the baby to her and asked if that was her son.  She grabbed the toddler, sinking her head into his neck and cuddling him close while sobbing even harder.  She couldn't talk.  Yes, that was her youngest of 4 kids and somehow he had gotten trapped in the crowd's flow and just toddled away.  She was frantic and sick.

After she calmed down, she was able to thank the woman who rescued the toddler.  It made my heart swell to see these two strangers embrace over the realization that this scenario could have ended very badly.  But, it didn't thanks to the rescuer's quick thinking.  So many people just looked at that boy and continued to walk by...but she didn't.  She took action when action needed taking.  Who knows what would have happened to the boy had she not.  With all these crazy people in the world, it could have ended tragically.

The lesson for me in all of this is a reminder that we all can make a difference.  It reminds me to not be a bystander and assume someone else will take care of it.  Take action.  It could mean the world to someone else.

Have a wonderful week, y'all.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!