Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Getting Comfortable with Chaos- Answering Reader Questions



Good morning!  Today is the day to answer the second batch of reader questions.  Thank you to everyone who took the time to send one in!

1.  What does your medication schedule look like for your Lyme treatment?  

Well, I take a regimen of anti-microbial herbals, prescription drugs, and vitamins/supplements as directed by my LLMD.  A few days ago I posted a picture (on Nine Acres Designs on Facebook) of the spreadsheet I use to keep track of my schedule because it is a lot and can be overwhelming and confusing, especially when my treatment is changed after I finally get used to the schedule.  I will not now or ever tell you specifically what I am taking for two reasons.  First, I want to protect myself and my doctor and preserve my privacy concerning my specific treatment.  Secondly, I don't ever want someone to read my treatment schedule and try to self-treat and cause themselves harm.  All of the things I take need to be closely monitored by a doctor!  To give you an idea, I take medicine (I am talking about herbals, prescriptions, and vitamins/supplements) 7 times a day.  Currently there are 13 different medicines, most of which I take several times a day.  So, in all, I take 4 different liquid drops mixed with water and up to 20 pills per day.  It's a lot.

2.  Where do you get the vintage pictures you use as the beginning ideas for the digital collage paintings you create?  

I get many of the vintage images from Flickr Commons.  There is a wealth of copyright free vintage images there.  Please read for yourself the copyright information provided by the site and also for each individual picture.  I never use the vintage image as is.  I use it as sort of a template in which to paint over and manipulate for my collage needs.  Many of the other elements I use are my own photos I have from over 15 years of taking pictures.  I do use a few other copyright free photography sites when I don't have a "stock" image of my own to use.

3.  You've mentioned your family and kids, but don't post a lot about them.  Why?  

Yes, I am married with 4 children, a horse, a dog, and a cat.  I don't talk about my family on a frequent basis because 2 of my children are teens and they like their privacy as does my husband.  I choose to blog and put myself out there, not my family... they do not choose that and I respect them wanting privacy. My other two children are adopted and I don't want a lot out of the internet about them for privacy reasons.  They don't know too much about privacy yet because they are 7 years old, but I don't want them to grow up and find embarrassing things about themselves on the internet at a later date.  It is just a personal choice I make for my family.  

4.  Do you like to watch television?  If so, what are your favorite shows?

I do like to watch television, but I don't have a lot of time to do it!  I DVR a lot of shows and on days when I am really struggling with Lyme, I sometimes rest and catch up on my shows.  Otherwise, I am going, going, going with work and 4 children!  My favorite shows are British!  I love Downton Abbey, Call the Midwife, Doc Martin, and Masterpiece Classic.  I also love "reality" shows such as The Amazing Race, Survivor, Teen Mom (don't judge!), The Little Couple, Alaska: The Last Frontier, and The Long Island Medium.

5.  How do you keep up with the very strict diet and medicine restrictions in your life?  I can't imagine having to eat that way!

Well, as for the diet, I continue to be gluten, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, and processed sugar free.  I have, over the past 9 months cheated about 5 times on small items (a bite of cake, for example).  I can stay focused for two reasons...I am so lucky to be surrounded by supportive family and friends.  They understand and accept my restrictions and they look out for me constantly.  Secondly, when I don't stick to my diet and medicine schedule I get very sick, so it is a motivation NOT to cheat!  If you know you will be down for a few days with severe pain and nausea if you cheat, it is motivation to eat clean!

Your questions were fantastic!  I have so much fun answering them and look forward to doing this again in the near future!  If you have a question for me, feel free to send it in at any time.  You can use the email in the sidebar here or post it or PM it over on Facebook!  

In the meantime...I will be working on a new collage...using this vintage image.  Hopefully I can make it work because as the saying says above, art is a messy business...I start and ditch many more pieces than I finish!  Hopefully this will be one I can take to the end!  xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!