Friday, February 12, 2016

Freezing Over


It is so pleasant to sit and do nothing-and therefore, so dangerous. 
Death through exhaustion is like death through freezing-a pleasant one.
Reinhold Messner


While driving through Lancaster county after our historic blizzard a few weeks back, I came across this silo in a farmer's field, spilling over a waterfall of frozen water. I've actually seen this same silo before, this scene duplicated about 2-3 years ago when I was driving along the same stretch of road. I've never seen another silo do this, so I don't have a clear explanation for why it spills this way. I'm guessing that without a top, it fills with rain water throughout the year and when winter hits, the water expands as it starts to freeze, pushing upward until spilling and creating this beautiful waterfall. Whatever the explanation, I love this scene. It reminds me of a lighthouse, the way it is up on the hill with long grasses blowing in the winter breeze...

Digitally painted and texturized, this has turned out to be one of my favorite pieces this winter. I hope you like it too.  

Happy Friday...have a great weekend and I will see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!