Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Where Joy Resides


Writers should find out where joy resides and give it a voice. 
Every bright word or picture is a piece of pleasure set afloat. 
The reader catches it, and he goes on his way rejoicing.
It's the business of art to send him that way as often as possible.

Nancy Horan- Under the Wide and Starry Sky

I haven't said much about the two sheriff's deputies that were killed in the line of duty, mostly because I don't know what to say...there just aren't words.

Last week the twins and I were running errands and happened to end up at the same shopping center where the LEOs were killed. I decided to tell the twins in age appropriate language and detail, what happened there and then go see the memorials set up inside and outside the Panera Bread. I also wanted to monetarily support the Panera Bread by patronizing the establishment since I know an event like this can carry a stigma with it. So, we went in and made an order. The twins asked a few questions and then we walked over to the two tables they have set up with various objects, letters, and pictures honoring the memory of the two officers. The three of us held hands and said a prayer for the officers, their families, and all the employees and patrons of the restaurant that had been there that day. It was more emotional than I thought it would be, considering we didn't personally know anyone who was involved. I cried a few tears from empathy (it brought back the feelings I had when I suddenly lost my father a year and a half ago.) and the twins went completely silent with heavy emotion.

I am glad I took them there. At eight years old they are now able to understand and express feelings that they never were able to do before. I think it is important to teach my kids about LEOs and the job they face everyday. I have many LEOs in my family and I refuse to let my children be touched by the people who hate and would like to bring harm to those who protect us everyday. This impromptu visit to the place where two officers were killed was a dialog opener for us. For that, I am thankful.

Happy Tuesday, y'all.  I hope you enjoy the digital art, "Where Joy Resides". To see more of my work in person, please visit Arts by the Bay Gallery in Havre de Grace.

P.S. If you are interested, I will be posting a Flip-a-gram later today on Nine Acres Designs Facebook page showing the progression of yesterday's piece, A Chronic Invalid, step by step as I created it. So, check in after lunch for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!