Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Hi Myrtle- Digital Art Created with Collaging Techniques


About this image: It was a heat wave in the middle February. The temperatures were approaching 70 degrees and the outdoors was calling. I had to go. I couldn't be stuck inside a moment longer with my aching jaw and tired body. So, my husband took me on a ride near our home to get me out.  We started talking about this barn even before we got there. We both had seen it many times and it is one of our favorites, but I had never photographed it. So, with my trusty iPhone 6S Plus in hand, I grabbed this image from the passenger side window. There is something about the double decker barn with the star on it that captures my heart. Something about the rolling green hills, spooning the barn red buildings in its folds.  Something about the silo standing tall and alert, guarding its yard. Truly, farming is the backbone of this country from its beginnings to now and it is also the lifeblood of my ancestral history, so I get it honest. Both sides of my family are farmers or miners from West Virginia and Kentucky. As far back as I have traced they have been farmers. The soil, it seems, is in my blood.

The title for this piece comes from a scanned letter I used as a texture that my great uncle wrote to his sister, my grandmother Myrtle, to tell her he was being deployed to go to Europe for WWII. I love the handwriting and the personal connection it has in my history. I often use old letters or documents I have from my ancestors in my art work. His letter began in a cheerful, "Hi, Myrtle!" and so I used it as the title. Can you find it in the piece?  There is also music notes and a face hiding in the piece as well.

Hey, y'all, I have added an event calendar to the Upcoming Events page because it was just more tidy to keep track of art shows, events, workshops, and appearances that way. So, go ahead over and check it out! Over the weekend I have confirmed two more dates and places for showing my work. I am excited to announce my work will be displayed at the last two upcoming Susquehanna Symphony Orchestra regular season performances at Bel Air High School. So, on March 4th and May 20th, I will be there before the show starts and during intermission to display my art and to answer questions.  My art will be on sale at this event as well (check or exact cash only for these two events) so head out, check out some great art and stay to listen to the SSO perform! It is going to be a great night of fun!

Please SAVE THE DATE May 5, 2017 6PM-9Pm for a special Lyme Disease Awareness Event that I am hosting at Arts By the Bay in Havre de Grace! I will be the featured artist and have three walls of my art displayed. In addition I will be talking about my journey through Chronic Lyme Disease and how it had affected my art. Also, Harford Lyme Advocates will have an informational table set up to help spread the word about the dangers of tick borne illnesses and how to keep yourself safe. It is also First Friday in Havre de Grace, so the streets will be shut down and tons of businesses and restaurants will be having special events and deals! I sincerely hope to see you all there...stop in and say hello!

Also, keep your eyes open for some workshop dates to come out this week. One will be a Mini-Composition Workshop and Guided Photo Walk in Havre de Grace, MD in May (I am shooting for May 20th in the morning, but haven't confirmed that date yet) and the other will be an Introduction to Mobile Art (I've received a ton of requests for this) sometime in April!

Have a fabulous day!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!