Monday, June 5, 2017

The Keepers Keeps Your Mind Spinning

The Last Gasp of Winter-Altered Photography by Tracey Grumbach

With the many hours in bed resting my body during CLD (Chronic Lyme Disease) treatment, I have recently become consumed by the documentary showing on Netflix called The Keepers. It is about two former students of Archbishop Keough (now Seton/Keough High School, which is scheduled to close down permanently this month), who are trying to solve the cold case of Sister Catherine Cesnick's murder back in 1969. What they uncover is simply terrifying and mind-blowing, not to mention addictive for the viewer. Every episode I kept telling myself that this can't get worse and every time I was wrong; it did get worse. This case fascinates me not only because it has mystery, intrigue, corruption, love, murder, and cover-up but also because I grew up and still live in the Baltimore area and am familiar with the locations throughout the documentary.

To make it even more personal to me, I happen to know one of the amazing former students of Sister Catherine, who is leading the charge to get this case solved. Her name is Gemma Hoskins. Gemma was my teacher mentor when I first started teaching in Harford County. She was/is a wonderfully caring and smart person and I am honored to have known her back in the 90's. She sparked inspiration and excellence in me as a young teacher and I will be forever grateful for that.

If you have Netflix, I highly suggest watching this documentary by the amazing director, Ryan White, who put this together beautifully. As soon as an episode ended, I was craving more.

I chose to pair this art piece with this post because I felt it must represent the lonliness and helplessness the girls in this case felt during their teen years. I won't say more because I don't want any spoilers here for those who have yet to see the documentary, but after you watch it you will totally understand the feeling I was going for here.

 Have a wonderful week. xo

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good one. Thank goodness for things like Netflix and Amazon Prime when laid up. I always get so much reading done when my back is giving me troubles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!