Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Migrate to the Sea- Get on the Road Series 2

digital art of camper by the sea created by Tracey Grumbach
Migrate to the Sea- Get On the Road Series 2
Digital Painting/Pastel based on a public domain photograph by David Dalese on Pixabay

"I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;"

-John Masefield; Sea Fever 

The other day I had an interview for a publication that will be featuring my art. The process of being interviewed, while pleasant, was very unsettling. If you know me it is no secret that I like to be in control. I have, over the years with the help of therapy, gotten better with giving up control, but not being in control of telling my own story really unsettles me. I prefer a publication to ask me for a bio rather than be interviewed. I want control of telling my own story, not leave it in the hands of how well I convey and how well someone else interprets my answers.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my conversation with the author very much but it felt so informal, like I was talking to a friend, rather than an official interview. With my sometimes still difficult aphasia due to Lyme, I don't always say what I want to say clearly. Prior to the interview I had preconceived ideas about what question would be asked and about how the interview would go. It didn't turn out that way at all.

However, it was a special surprise when I felt so free and open with the interviewer. She was a lovely woman who connected with me on a deeper level than I was expecting and we had a lot in common. We even agree that we should meet for lunch sometime in September to talk some more on a personal level rather than a professional level. So, while I will be unsettled until I can see the final written product of the interview (which will be out October), I was pleasantly surprised at the level of connection and understanding I felt from the writer. That was the shining silver lining in this experience.

Have a fabulous Tuesday! Today is my last full day here in Florida. Brenna will be busy with orientation activities today, so I may see her during a lunch break and possibly this evening, but otherwise things are wrapping up for me here. I will miss her so much but she is ready to fly! And I am ready to get back to a new normal back at home. I miss the rest of my family and I miss my own bed.

Until tomorrow...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!