Saturday, September 16, 2017

17/365-Why Being Told "No" Is a Blessing

white barn with silos
The Solution is to Work Harder- Altered Photography by Tracey Grumbach
“I do not understand it. I would not have believed that such things could happen on our farm. It must be due to some fault in ourselves. The solution, as I see it, is to work harder. From now onwards I shall get up a full hour earlier in the mornings.”
―George Orwell; Animal Farm

------------------

Today I am grateful for being told "no."  I know that sounds like a strange thing to be grateful for, but honestly, I've come to appreciate it. The other day I was chatting with a girlfriend about opportunities and making choices about a direction in life. As I have grown in my relationship with the Lord, I have not only realized that God hears all of our prayers, but He also answers all our prayers with either a "yes", a "no", or a "wait".  In my "before" life, that is life before Chronic Lyme Disease, I would often feel rejected and defeated when the answer to a prayer or a wish was "no." It made me feel not good enough, like something was wrong with me.

In my "after" life, that is life after Chronic Lyme Disease, I have drawn closer to God and began trying my best to allow Him the driver seat of my life. Instead of thinking I knew what opportunities and direction were best for me, I began trusting that His vision of my life was much better than my own. That is when I began to pray a bit differently. Now, when I pray about an opportunity or direction in my life, I pray that I may trust and be content with whatever direction He sees fit for me.

Sometimes that means being prepared for a "no" or a "wait" answer and trusting that His will is way better than my will. Matthew 20:22 shows us that sometimes, with our measly human brains and human will, we do not know what we are asking of Him. Even in asking for greatness for her sons, the mother (in Matthew 20) knows not the implications of what she is asking. How could she? How can we? We can not see into the future and all the implications and directions a certain choice will bring us.

So, today I am grateful that in two recent situations I have asked for something and have been told "no" or "wait". One was to have my art published in a certain magazine and the other was to write for a collaborative blog. Both times I was told no. My first reaction was to feel rejected and hurt, not good enough. But then I reminded myself that I can not forsee my future path. Perhaps the timing isn't right for either of these jobs. Perhaps God has in store for me even better opportunities that I can't see yet. Perhaps neither of these opportunities matched with the path God wants for me. I don't know the answer, but I do know that the one thing I can trust is God. Now, I am even more excited to see what is in store for my future rather than be dejected by "no."

To tie this all in back to the digital art piece and quote, sometimes our solutions to problems are misguided and lacking in perspective. God is never misguided and has the ultimate perspective...He is all knowing. So, perhaps the solution is not always to work harder at something but rather be still and trust Him.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!