Sunday, September 17, 2017

18/365-The Key to Happiness Is Within Yourself

Eden Mill Nature Center antique wagon
Wagon Wheel- Digital Art by Tracey Grumbach
“All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, suffering follows him as the wheel follows the hoof of the beast that draws the wagon.... If a man speaks or acts with a good thought, happiness follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.” -Gautama Buddha

---------------

 I tell my kids this all the time. Happiness is not something you find. It is not something someone else can give you. It is a disposition. It is an inner peace and contentment. It is constantly being an optimist and seeing the good in every person and situation. It is embracing what you have and where you are without desiring what someone else has. This last piece is what my kids struggle with the most, especially the young ones, but we work on it almost daily. What helps me as a parent with this is exposing the kids to situations that allow them to serve others less fortunate than us...church activities, missions, volunteering. Recently we started having the kids divide their allowance into thirds. If they get $30 a month, they put $10 in their savings account, keep $10 to send to a charity, and they can spend the last $10. I was so excited to see how thrilled they were to decide where their charity money goes. They talk about all the possibilities and are excited about making a difference. Now I am teaching them about researching charity organizations to see where the money actually goes...to line someone's pocket or to actually help a cause.

I by no means am anywhere near perfect. I get grumpy and sad and discontented sometimes. But overall, I try to spend time meditating and writing about what I am grateful for each day. Focusing on blessings and having a positive mindset is the key to being happy no matter your circumstances.

Have a wonderful Sunday. I am starting membership classes at our church, so it is going to be a great day here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always try to respond to comments via email, so please be sure you add your email to your profile. Thanks!